March 18, 2014

The All Seeing Eyes

While I was in the process of writing yesterday’s post, I decided to go out and take a walk.  I was a few miles from my house when I saw a very unexpected sight.  Crossing the road were 2 male peacocks.  One had the normal coloring and the one following him was pure white.  Now I am assuming that they belong to someone living nearby, but in all my 10 years living here, I had never seen them or heard them before.  If I had been a few minutes earlier or later, I would have missed the pair.  

The traditional symbology for the peacock involves the many eyes that can be seen when he spreads out his tail feathers, hence the “all seeing eyes”.  These represent greater wisdom and vision.  I’ll take all of that that I can get! 

Almost 2 years ago I had another magical encounter with a peacock.  I was on a sacred site trip to the UK, and our group was spending our last 2 nights at the Kagyu Samye Ling Monastery in Scotland.  While walking through the herb garden, I encountered their resident peacock.  Everyone had been warned that he could be quite aggressive when confronted.  Instead of coming after me, he proceeded to put on quite a show while strutting and turning with his tail feathers spread out fully.  The photo for this post is that very same magical bird. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment